magnifiable.png click on any image to enlarge; all magnifiable if deemed necessary by your browser



Partick Thistle vs. Dumbarton Harp, Match Ball

Another example of the pride felt by the Thistle board after the move to Maryhill in 1909. Someone from the within the directorate had the foresight to commandeer the match ball which had been used in the first-ever match at Firhill; Partick Thistle 3 Dumbarton Harp 1, the 18th September, 1909. The ball was painted and treated with the club names in gold lettering.

Due to their poor League performances in the homeless season before, Thistle were in the ignominious position of having to qualify for the Scottish Cup proper in 1909-10. 4,000 witnessed a fast and exciting Qualifying Cup tie. Alas, a defensive mix-up let JOHN CARR in to score Firhill's first ever goal - for Dumbarton Harp! It was captain ALEC RAISBECK to the rescue from the penalty spot in 42 mins. The standites reportedly stamped their feet in approval! TOM CALLAGHAN put Thistle ahead with a fine drive (55) and, would you believe it, a second penalty from ALEC RAISBECK put the result beyond doubt. Two Harp players were sent off in a rough last few minutes. It was quite the day!

Whilst our photograph suffers a little from the restraints of 2013 mobile phone technology, and the fact it was snapped through the glass cabinet in the Firhill boardroom, we're as proud as those directors to have it in our virtual museum all the same, and will endeavour to apply an upgrade at some point!

To this day, the ball lies in the Firhill boardroom and still comes out for the occasional exhibition.



Partick Thistle vs. Dumbarton Harp, Commemorative Plaque

The directors were keen to mark the start of a new era in 1909. After some initial teething problems with the building work, Firhill received a clean bill of health and the ground was ready to be opened for the Scottish Cup Qualifying Cup tie with Dumbarton Harp on 18th September 1909.

The executive, including William Reid, George Easton, Richard Robertson & William Lindsay, commisioned a commemorative plaque for the boardroom. There's almost a sense of relief with this gesture. Partick was now almost 1½ years behind them, and getting fixed up in Maryhill put an end to a very unhappy period of homelessness.

At some point in time, a run of posters was also produced, in the exact same design of the plaque.



1909-2009 Firhill Centenary Shirt

Partick Thistle Football Club and Greaves Sports launched the club’s new Puma-designed 09/10 centenary strip on 18th September 2009. This was done 100 years to the day of the Jags’ first ever game at Firhill. Allan Cowan, Partick Thistle chairman noted: “This is a proud day for the club and the centenary strip will only add to the sense of special occasion tomorrow.” It was indeed worn for the first time the very next day, in a 2-0 Firhill League win against Dunfermline Athletic.

From 11am on that Saturday at Firhill there were a number of events, aimed primarily at families, taking place in the car park outside the Jackie Husband Stand. There were photo opportunities with current Thistle players and the 1971 League Cup winning squad. There was street rugby from Glasgow Warriors, and a mini football tournament involving four local primary schools. A coffee stall was run by Macmillan Cancer Relief with all proceeds going to the charity. The first 100 visitors to the Aitken Suite before kick-off were refreshed with a free drink of their choice!



“Cottage” by Andrew Johnston, 1889

The last of four surviving watercolour paintings by the artist, the only one not to be signed. Andrew would have been 23 or 24 when he created this piece, and had a lot of memorable footballing history behind him already. Read his story here.

Thank you to great grandson Douglas Fyfe for preserving this work, and for submitting this photograph in August, 2022.



“Lonely row boat” by Andrew Johnston, 1885

The third of four watercolour paintings by the artist, preserved for more than 130 years. Andrew Johnston made his first known appearance for Partick Thistle in January 1885, so this was most likely to have been painted just as his senior footballing "career" was taking off, albeit these were the days of the amateur.

Thank you to great grandson Douglas Fyfe for preserving this work, and for submitting this photograph in August, 2022.



“Puck's Glen waterfall” by Andrew Johnston, 1884.

Watercolour painting by Partick Thistle forward Andrew Johnston, and signed by the artist himself. Thanks to Douglas Fyfe for the submission. Puck's Glen is a river-formed ravine near Dunoon, with a popular scenic walking trail beside the Eas Mòr stream (Gaelic for "big waterfall"). It's been highlighted as a feature of the Argyll Forest Park (itself within the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park), and described it as "one of the most magical forests in Scotland, with a delightful trail along a rocky gorge."

The stream tumbles down a series of waterfalls and rapids, joining the River Eachaig about 1.2 kilometres (0.75 mi) south of the entrance to the Benmore Botanic Garden. A car park off the A815 road (about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from Dunoon on the road to Loch Eck) gives access by a track to the foot of the glen path, as well as forest paths giving an alternative route to the top of the glen.



“Rothesay” by Andrew Johnston, 1884.

We were very pleased to have received a photograph of one of Andrew Johnston's caps, but we weren't prepared for what came next… it turned out he was a talented artist to boot! All 4 of the paintings seen in this gallery were submitted by his great grandson, Douglas Fyfe.

This water colour was painted by Andrew in 1884, probably before he joined Thistle. It's signed by the artist himself and, although he never gave it a title, all parties concerned are comfortable in calling it as seen.



Glasgow FA Cap 1889

This was the third and final Glasgow cap earned by Andrew Johnston. The match was played on the 23rd February 1889 at Powderhall in Edinburgh, the seventh annual meeting of Glasgow vs. Edinburgh, won by the latter, 5 goals to 3. Andrew's second-born son, John, took possession of the cap upon his untimely passing in 1905. Brilliantly, John lived in Thistle Street; this cap is charmed! Sadly, John died of cancer in 1959 and his wife looked after it until she herself passed away in 1983. It then passed to Andrew's great grandson, Douglas Fyfe, who has ensured its survival ever since. Hopefully, whoever gets it next will take as much care of it as those in the last 130+ years have done!

On 24th August, 2022, Douglas was inspired to take and send this photograph when he read our extended biography on Andrew's life. We were very pleased indeed to see it and to hear the back story. So much so we've started this virtual museum!

© The Thistle Archive 2015-2021. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.